- Text Size +

CHAPTER 23 - YEAH THEY GOT STOOPID AGAIN!

 

DEBS & CARL’S HOUSE - SUNDAY AFTERNOON TWO WEEKS LATER

 

DINING ROOM

 

CARL

 

The snuffling and the little thumps from under the table has Debs checking and then mock-glaring at Hunter, who jerks his head in Ben’s direction.

 

“Benjamin Bruckner! Do not feed them anymore of my meatballs like that!” She orders.

 

“Tattletale.” Ben grouses at Hunter and then we all look at Debs as she gets up and takes down two saucers.

 

“Put them on a plate!” She hands them to him and seconds later, Frick and Frack are gobbling happily.

 

“So how is it going at Britin?” Mel asks, adjusting JR who is grizzling. “Her teeth are coming through.”

 

“Not bad. We’re starting from upstairs down. He’s doing the studio himself but we’ve got the sign off on all the bedrooms.”

 

“So Gus has his own bedroom at Britin, does he? I assume the same goes for JR?” Michael asks as he comes in. I think they have been standing outside eavesdropping.

 

“Gus will have his room that is correct, because it’s at his fathers’ home. But why does JR need to have a room there?” Blake asks. “The only other places that JR should have a room are at Ben’s and yours. Brian and Justin are not her father, godfathers to be yes, but…”

 

“Blake.” Lindsay begins in her usual manner. “I agree to a certain extent but I don’t want you to take this the wrong way but…”

 

“Yes you do, but do go on. Continue your earth mother routine.” He snipes and a funny expression crosses Ted’s face.

 

“Rout...as I was about to say. You haven’t had children and…”

 

“You have but continue to see them as bargaining chips.” He growls. “Again, sorry to interrupt.”

 

“Blake, I have to interrupt.” Ted looks at him and I see Michael and Lindsay smirk. “Lindsay, please shut the fuck up. I have six meetings over the next couple of days. Coming in with a ring so I can actually sit down, isn’t the image I want to project as the CFO of a billion dollar company!”

 

There is complete silence and Blake starts to go redder and redder, before clearing his throat. “Yes let’s revisit this conversation next weekend when he’s in California, I should be nice and calm by the time he comes back.”

 

“Ooh no honey, store it up and then pounce!” Ems guffaws.

 

“Not helping Ems!”

 

“What’s he not helping with?” Justin asks as he comes in with Gus, who immediately is by Frick and Frack.

 

“Lindsay’s MERO. It winds him up as you noticed.” Ted replies. Justin nods sagely and goes upstairs.

 

“MERO?” Lindsay demands. “What the hell is that?”

 

“Daddy, can grandpa and I take them for a walk?” Gus asks hopefully.

 

“After dinner you can, yes.” Justin replies coming down the stairs. “But right now, go and wash your hands so we can all eat.”

 

Gus nods and runs up the stairs.

 

“He asked his dad.” Michael points out.

 

“And I support that decision. So does MERO wind you up more than LMA?” Brian drawls, making Blake and Justin giggle.

 

“What the hell are you talking about?!” Lindsay almost screeches.

 

“Daddy, can we eat now?” Gus comes down the stairs carefully. “And papa, can I sit between you and daddy?”

 

“Of course you can.” Justin takes his hand and we all sit down. Lindsay is almost frothing with frustration and we’re all trying not to smirk. “What’s up with JR?” He looks across at Mel, who is trying to soothe an about to wail JR.

 

“Her teeth are coming through.” She explains again as JR’s face crumples. “Oh baby I know it hurts but…”

 

“Ma, can’t you do something?” Michael asks.

 

“Gus had a dummy, and that worked.” Lindsay suggests.

 

“She doesn’t like it.”

 

“Let me have her.” Hunter reaches for her. “Grandma, do you have the milk popsicles?”

 

“Sure honey let me get one for her.” She grins proudly at him as she hands it to him.

 

“Milk popsicles. Of course!” Mel exclaims. “I can’t believe I forgot them!”

 

“Forgot what?” Michael asks and then watches incredulous as all thoughts of crying disappear as JR sucks on the popsicle.

 

“When we had that picnic, I noticed that she was teething and ice cream seemed to help her gums.” Hunter explains, keeping his eyes on her and making sure her mouth doesn’t get too cold. “So I looked up a recipe that’s vegan and baby friendly and she likes it.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell us about it?!” Michael exclaims.

 

“That was my fault.” Mel puts up her hands. “Like I said I forgot about them only because she seemed to calm down but this morning she’s...well as you can see. So let me just email you the recipe now.”

 

“Okay.” Michael said grudgingly and he checks his phone as it beeps, confirming she’s sent it. “Give her to me now please.” He stands up and holds out his hands and I see the annoyance on Hunter’s face but before I can say anything Debs clears her throat.

 

“Michael.” Debs sighs. “She’s going to sleep now. Stop being difficult.”

 

MICHAEL

 

“Difficult?” My hackles are up. “How is wanting to hold my daughter being difficult?!”

 

“When she was about to cry, you wanted your mom to deal with her. Now that Hunter has settled her down, you want to play daddy. That’s why you are being difficult.” Brian dares me to say anything.

 

I am getting sick to fucking death of everyone behaving like I’m the bad guy here!

 

“Brian…”

 

“Michael, leave Hunter and his sister alone. They’re doing fine.” Emmett interrupts me. “Look, she’s out. I think you should take her up now sweetie.” He tells him and with a nod from Mel he does so.

 

It’s at that time I notice the dogs. “What the heck are they doing here? Are they safe?”

 

“They’ve been here since we arrived about four hours ago!” Ben declares. “And safe for whom?”

 

“Four hours? Why have you been here so long?” Lindsay looks as confused as me.

 

“So he, Hunter and I could have a long overdue talk.” Ma tells me smiling at Ben. “And before you ask, no it had nothing to do with you. How’s the new place?”

 

I grin around the table. “It is great. So airy and roomy. Have you rented your loft out yet, Brian?”

 

He doesn’t answer.

 

“Brian?” Lindsay prompts and he just looks at her with a mouthful of food and points to Justin. He then starts to chew slower before putting another forkful in his mouth and Gus is copying him.

 

Lindsay sighs. “Justin, have you managed to find someone?”

 

“Yes, we have found someone to rent both lofts, a fellow artist. You know him.”

 

“I do? Are you sure?”

 

“Miles, Miles Stanhope. Sidney is delighted that he’s closer to Bloom and the space works. I can’t wait to use it but Britin comes first.”

 

Lindsay goes crimson and Mel giggles.

 

“You okay sweetie?” Emmett asks as Hunter joins us again.

 

“Yeah.” He grimaces. “Nappy changing not pretty.”

 

“You changed her nappy? Why didn’t you call one of us?!” I demand.

 

“Why would he need to?” Ben asks, his tone cold.

 

“No reason.” I backtrack. “Just didn’t think it was his thing.”

 

“You didn’t think. As usual” Justin retorts.

 

“Hi everyone.” Ruth knocks on the doors and pokes her head through the door. “Oh dear God, who said you can give them meatballs?!”

 

We all point at both Ben and Debs. “What’s wrong with meatballs?” Blake asks as he feeds Frack another one.

 

“It’s their favourite thing ever, but what goes in must come out. Tell me there wasn’t cheese?”

 

“Parmesan.” Debs replies warily.

 

“Okay, not good. Blake and, judging by those big eyes, Gus, can you take them for a very long walk please?”

 

“Why can’t you…” I stop speaking in the face of her wrathful expression. In fact, everyone goes quiet.

 

“Carl, may I have a word please?” She asks and he follows her outside.

 

“Uncle Blake, we have to go! Before they do!” Gus announces and that lightens the atmosphere a bit and they leave with Gus chattering away.

 

Ten minutes later, she and Carl haven’t come back yet. “Should I?” Ma asks, looking at the door.

 

“No.” Brian tells her and she leans back into her chair.

 

“So the building works?” Lindsay asks. “How are they…”

 

“Not building. Renovating. The structure of the building is sound and…”

 

“I would...I mean, would it be possible for me to design Gus’s room as…”

 

“No. Gus, Brian and I are doing that because that is what Gus wants.” Justin interjects and then sighs. “Are you absolutely sure he said that about the back wall?”

 

“Yes absolutely.” Brian nods, smirking and waggling his eyebrows.

 

“You! You are going to pay! I have been trying to incorporate that into his scheme for the last week!”

 

“You’re not serious?!” Brian laughs but looking at Justin he sees that he is. “Justin. Justin look at me.” Ass Boy Wonder turns his sulking face towards him. “I was kidding.” He brushes his fingers against his lips and I cringe. “I forget how much you love him. No messing about; he just wants the park.”

 

“You promise.” They lock eyes and everyone is staring at them with adoration, me and Lindsay not so much, as he leans in and kisses him.

 

“I think that means he promises.” Emmett sighs.

 

“That’s just ‘I’, I still have seven letters to go…”

 

“Eight.” Justin licks his lips, completely showing off.

 

“Promise is seven letters.” I point out.

 

“I was counting the space between I and promise.”

 

“Eight it is.” Brian growls, he actually growls!

 

Just in time to stop the lovefest from turning into a fuckfest, Ruth and Carl come back in.

 

“Everything okay?” Ma asks.

 

RUTH

 

“May I take a seat?” I ask and Debs nods.

 

“Spill.” Brian demands.

 

“Before that, Ems did Lucas call you?”

 

“Oh yes we’re going on a date on Thursday. Can we…”

 

“Was just waiting for the date and time. How about nine and a room?”

 

“Perfect!” He grins.

 

“Ruth…” Justin begins but I shake my head.

 

“Carmine, Xavier and Gary are on their way. They need to be here.”

 

“Can you at least tell us what this about?” Justin tries again.

 

BRIAN

 

“They’re here.” Carl comes in grim faced as he leads in four guys. “Let’s sit in the lounge.”

 

Whatever it is, Ruth is barely holding onto her temper judging by the death grip on her glass.

 

“These are from the left, Carmine, Gary, Xavier and I don’t know who this guy is but was told to bring him in.”

 

“But you two do, don’t you?” Ruth looks at Michael and Lindsay. “So let’s get this shit done. Mr Runston, who are these people?”

 

“My former clients.” He mutters as they start to shift uncomfortably.

 

“Who have you doing what for?” Ruth sounds like she’s chewing nails.

 

“Before you answer that, what do you mean for…”

 

“One. More. Word. Out. Of. You! And I swear!” Ruth interrupts without actually looking at Michael. “Answer the question, Mr Runston.”

 

“Myself and my colleagues were asked to follow any cars from AngelCars.”

 

“What for?” Debs asks wearily.

 

I can feel it. I can feel the rage coming from up his toes and immediately, I pull Justin to me and kiss the side of his neck. “Don’t. Let her handle it. Please.” He turns into my chest and nods as I card my fingers through his hair. Slowly he loosens his hold on my waist so I can breathe!

 

“He’s good?” Ruth asks and I nod. She turns back to Runston. “How long?”

 

“A couple of weeks.” He replies.

 

“When did you spot them the first time?” She looks at the others.

 

“A week and a half ago was the first guy. But then after it was clear that we were for Ben and Hunter, they left us alone.” Carmine replies and Xavier nods. “They seemed to concentrate on you and Gary.”

 

“The two main drivers for Brian and Justin? What were you thinking?!” Ted exclaims.

 

“NO!” Ruth yells, slamming her glass down, surprisingly not breaking it. “This is not about Brian and Justin! This is about my business! My clients rely on discretion and you fucked with that!” She stands in front of both of them, flinging a piece of paper in Lindsay’s lap. “You want to know where they live so badly. This is the address…”

 

“Ruth!” Justin exclaims, looking at me and I don’t get it either.

 

“I got this. Remember the condo in Gus’s movie?” They nod more out of terror than anything else because Ruth is so furious. “Well now you have the address. Do try to get in.”

 

Lindsay looks at the piece of paper. “Not that we are going to pester Brian and Justin, but why couldn’t we be allowed in? Unless of course, this isn’t the right address.”

 

Ruth laughs. “Oh it’s the right address and the reason you won’t get to the front door, let alone on the grounds, although it will be fun to watch you try... is because it’s mine.”

 

“Yours?” Lindsay glares at her. “No, you’re lying!”

 

“Mel, can you get a restraining order against them barring them from being on the grounds of that address?” She snatches the paper from Lindsay’s hand and gives it to Mel.

 

“Absolutely. I knew those two were...what’s the word I’m looking for?” Mel frowns.

 

“Batshit?” Xavier tries.

 

“That’ll do.” Mel grimaces. “But this...this is a whole new level.”

 

Lindsay holds up her hand. “If any of the three of you had told us where you two were living when we asked...” She pauses and sighs. “Then we wouldn’t have resorted to such methods.”

 

“Get out.” It is said so quietly that, at first, nobody knows who spoke. “I said get out!” Carl shouts, moving Ruth out of the way and grabbing both their elbows. “Come back…” He snaps as he drags them to the door. “When you behave like fucking grown-ups! And use your money for the proper purposes!”

 

As he shuts the door on them, Blake and Gus come through the back with the dogs. “We had such a long walk daddy! I don’t think that they should have the meatballs anymore Ruthie. Uncle Blake was not happy on poop duty; there was a lot!”

 

Gus continues to talk about the walk without noticing that his mommy and Uncle Michael have left.

 

RUTH’S CONDO - MONDAY EVENING

 

LOUNGE

 

BRIAN

 

We haven’t had time to process what the two idiots have done but now it’s just us, we have to talk about it.

 

“Brian.” Justin clears his throat. “I-I...please listen and think about what I’m going to say before you speak.” I pull him to me and wait. “I don’t want to do the Rathman Residency Show and California anymore.”

 

“Thank you.” I tilt up his chin and kiss him and feel the tremble of his lips. “I don’t want you to go either. This following thing is beyond creepy and I want you here by my side.”

 

“If they hired private eyes…” He shudders.

 

“Yeah.” I sigh. “And the restraining orders I think need to apply to Britin and Kinnetic.”

 

“Thank you.” He holds me tighter and I wipe his tears away. “I’m crying because I’m angry.” He sniffs. “They are still doing it.”

 

“What?” I look down at him.

 

“Button pushing. They do things that they know will be so annoying to show us how far they will go. So that the next time they want to know something, then we will…”

 

“Just tell them to avoid that again. Or worse. Fuckers!”  I lean my head back and he crawls into my lap before sitting astride me.

 

“Brian.” He kisses my throat. “Let’s go to bed.”

 

“Or we can start as we mean to go on from here? She said bed, she didn’t say sofa…”

 

“I like the way you think. Now which button should I push first?” He murmurs against my lips.

 

LINDSAY & MICHAEL’S APARTMENT - THURSDAY MID-MORNING

 

LOUNGE

 

MICHAEL

 

Nobody has contacted us since Sunday. We were supposed to be having JR and Gus this weekend but so far Mel has not returned our calls or responded to emails.

 

“I think we may have really fucked up.”

 

“Yeah, I think we have.” Lindsay replies.

 

“We have to fix it! Did you see the looks on their faces? It was like we were scum!” I roll my eyes a bit but then smile. “Let’s start with the easiest one to get. Let’s call Emmett.”

 

I grab my phone and put it on speaker, it just rings and rings.

 

“Okay, let’s try Mel. She needs to confirm the weekend anyway.” Lindsay frowns.

 

“What?” Mel barks.

 

“Wow Mel; did you have a bad court day?” Lindsay asks.

 

“No you called. What do you want?”

 

“We wanted to confirm the weekend.” Lindsay rolls her eyes. “What time will you be dropping them around?”

 

“I won’t be. After what you did, the only place you two will see the children is here or at Ben’s, with at least one of us present. I don’t trust you guys anymore. Now I have to go into court so thank you for putting me in a mood to kick some ass!”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks